The Victorian Department of Health is offering scholarships of up to $3,000 to registered nurses working in the Victorian public health sector to support postgraduate study in mental health nursing. The scholarships are administered by the Australian College of Nursing on behalf of the Victorian Department of Health.
These scholarships are available to mental health nurses working in Victoria who are enrolled or intending to enrol in an eligible postgraduate course in semester two, 2022.
Those eligible to apply for a scholarship must:
- Be a registered nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or New Zealand citizen
- Be employed (or commencing employment) in a Victorian Area Mental Health Service
- Be enrolled in a semester two 2022 eligible postgraduate course (level 8 or higher under the Australian Qualifications Framework) delivered by a university or accredited higher education provider that leads to a tertiary qualification in mental health nursing or a tertiary qualification that advances the applicant’s knowledge, skills and capacity to provide effective mental health care
- Have the support of the Director of Mental Health Nursing, as demonstrated through them endorsing the application.
Please also note, if you are considering a master’s level qualification that leads to endorsement as a nurse practitioner, the department recommends that you speak to your Head of Nursing and Midwifery Education to determine your organisation’s need for such a role and commitment to providing the associated supervision and mentorship requirements. You may only apply for this scholarship or the Nursing and Midwifery Postgraduate Scholarship, so you are strongly encouraged to consider which option is most suitable for you and best aligns with your organisation’s priorities.
- Eligible courses are those that build the capabilities required to deliver high quality, evidence-based consumer-centred care in the specialist mental health sector and/or build the capacity of the Victorian mental health sector by improving the skills and knowledge of other mental health nurses within the sector.
- All courses must be undertaken with an accredited Australian tertiary institution.
Applications will be assessed by an independent selection panel once criteria for eligibility have been met.
Applicants will need to provide a 200-word statement outlining their commitment to mental health nursing, including:
- Your rationale for undertaking the course of study
- How undertaking the course of study will enhance your professional practice, and
- How undertaking the course of study will improve the wellbeing of consumers and their families, carers and supporters.
A weighting system will be applied. Priority will be given to:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants
- Regional/Rural applicants
- Applicants who have not previously received a scholarship from the Victorian Department of Health
- Non-Commonwealth Supported applicants
- Applicants who demonstrate a commitment to mental health nursing, as demonstrated through professional development activities and career aspirations.
Value of Scholarship
The scholarships are worth up to $3,000 and considered a contribution towards the cost of undertaking postgraduate studies, including tuition fees, student contributions, study loans (HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP), books and equipment, travel required to attend lectures and clinical placements, childcare and other related study costs.
The scholarships are paid directly to individual recipients, not their employers or the Australian Taxation Office.
How to Apply
You are required to register to submit an application for a scholarship. Fill the application form here.
Applications are now open and will close on 11.59pm AEST, Thursday 28 July 2022.
How to Contact:
Tel: 1800 117 262
- Allied Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs Postgraduate Scholarships
- Pathway to Victoria Scholarship 2022/2023 – Australia
- Australian Catholic University Scholarships For International Student
- University of Melbourne Scholarship 2023 (Fully Funded)
- Bill Gates Scholarships for International Students at University of Cambridge in UK